Friday, July 24, 2015

Tails, I Win

I finally found a few extra dollars, so I made up the tail stock assembly. Like the headstock, it is made of laminated red oak. I deviated from the plans again. They called for the 1-8 TPI nut to be epoxied into a hex shaped recess. I cut the hex shaped recess with a chisel 1/8 inch deeper than the thickness of the nut. I then cut a circular piece of 1/8 CRS with a hole saw. I also cut a 1 inch hole in the center with a hole saw as well. this will retain the nut in the recess, rather than the epoxy. Using a router and a plywood pattern, I cut a 1/8 inch deep recess for the steel retainer. I drilled and countersunk 4 hole and attached it to the tail stock with flathead screws. I put a similar piece on the opposite side to give the spindle a rudimentary bearing surface. The spindle turns very easily and smooth. I then drilled a vertical hole down through the tailstock for the clamping screw. I made another handle, like the one on the tool rest, and epoxied a long, coupling nut in it. This screws into a piece of all thread that, in turn, threads into a clamping block, again, similar to the one for the tool rest. A quick turn of the handle locks the tail stock securely. A 3/8 inch hole was drilled, horizontally, through the tail stock for the spindle lock. I enlarged the first inch of the hole to 1/2 inch and drove in a 3/8 coupling nut. A large washer was recessed flush with the surface to keep the nut from pulling out when the spindle is locked.  All that remains is to procure a belt, stain and spray a finish on the oak and weigh it down. The plans call for filling the pedestals with sand to give the machine stability and to minimize vibration. Of course, I don't care for this idea. I have a better one, but you'll have to stay tuned until next time

No comments: