Friday, July 31, 2015
I officially pronounce the lathe, done. I made a knob for the spindle lock, a shelf for the right pedestal, tuned up the tail stock height, put a bend in the tool rest to get it closer to the center line and finished the lid for the sandbox. I added 150 pounds of sand. The ballast really makes it solid and it runs very smooth and quiet. I want to get a good sized piece of burl or crotch wood and try to turn a fancy bowl. We are taking an RV vacation in a few weeks so I am going to keep my eyes open for some local wood. I still need some sort of holder for my chisels. I'll have to find something that I like and that also matches the machine.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
An old friend asked if I could use a roll away box and top chest as he is paring down. I, on the other hand am a tool junkie, so the answer was, "Of course." What I ended up with is a generic lower with two drawers and a large bin and an old Snap-On, five drawer, machinists chest. I already have a roll away with an intermediate and a top chest for my mechanics tools. I wanted to better organize some of my woodworking tools. Once I got it home, I lined all of the drawers with rubber liner. I put all of my planes on top and most of the oft used tools in the drawers. I am not very organized and many of my tools have no home so they lie about wherever I used them last. Hopefully I can break some old, bad habits and put things away when I'm done with them. One can only hope.