Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Home Stretch

I have been busy with the bike. I've also been ill for over three weeks plus I spent a week in Mexico with a team that built three houses for poor families in Vicente Guerrero. This has hobbled my efforts, but I am back on track. The bike is 90% back together as I write this. Tomorrow, I need to slide the fork tubes into the triple clamps and she'll be up on two wheels again. The Linexed frame looks good and required very little extra effort to assemble. I just had to clean out a few holes and scrape some of it off to get good grounds for the running lights. I hope to make some noise late tomorrow or the next morning

Friday, June 30, 2017

A Lesson in Fluid Dynamics

Prior to our misbegotten vacation to Japan, which resulted in Lady LaFong being hit by a bicycle and spending over two weeks in the hospital with a broken pelvis, the bike experienced, yet another, catastrophic failure. Excess fuel, from the previous, leaky carburetor, flooded one cylinder and caused a hydrolock, which bent a connecting rod. So, upon our return from Japan, I, once again, reduced the bike to a pile of parts. The new rod and gasket set arrived the other day. My plan is to replace the rod and button the engine back up. No drama, no complete rebuild, just the one bad hole. In the meantime, I've stripped the frame back to bare metal. My plan was to have it powder coated, probably in a hammertone finish. I took it to the guy that I've been using and he quoted me 500 bucks for the job, up from the 350 he quoted me a few months ago. Additionally, I was told that the Lab Metal filler, which is recommended for powder coat use, would be blown away when the frame was sandblasted. So, I am going with plan B, against the very good council of a friend. I will have the frame coated with Linex bed coating. The concern my friend had was, that it will turn gray in time. I don't think it will, since it will spend very little time in the sun. Time will tell. I have already spoken to another friend about painting the rest of the bike

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Making a Big Splash

The transmission is back together but lousy weather has kept me out of the shop. With no automotive adventures to occupy my time, I decided it was time to readdress the kitchen remodel. We found some tile that looked nice and matched the decor. I ordered an amount that was sufficient to cover the back splash area. Also, I ordered a pot filler faucet to put above the stove. They have become a must have in new kitchens. In order to install it, I had to crawl into the attic, again. It was really simple. I cut into an existing cold line, that runs to the refrigerator, and dropped a line straight down to the range. A bit of drywall patching and it was ready for tile. Of course, I miss measured and there isn't enough tile to finish the job. So, off to Lowes to get some more. It is a non stocking item so we have to wait 4 or 5 days for it to show up. I the meantime, I grouted the tile that I was able to install. I have some fancy, brushed nickle, wall plates on order for the switches and outlets. So far, it's lookin' pretty good