Thursday, May 24, 2012
The poor running has gotten worse. The bike blows out clouds of black, gagging, acrid smoke, will barely run, will not idle at all and there is gas leaking around the front of the carb. Time to yank it off and have a look see. To me, carburetors are black magic and one must swear a holy oath to Satan in order to understand their intricacies. So, with a crucifix, some wolfbane and a tub of holy water at my side, I will jump in with both feet. After dis assembling the carb two or three times, the bike is running a bit better, but still not well enough to ride with any degree of confidence. The idle quality is pretty poor, though it runs well above idle. I'm sure it is a minor glitch. Fuel pressure is good, 5-6 pounds. The bike ran perfectly when I tore it down. Tomorrow, when I'm in town, I'll pick up a book on rebuilding and modifying Rochester carburetors and see if I can figure things out.
Thursday, May 10, 2012
After fixing, yet another, leak, this time the fitting that screws into the reserve tank, it was finally time for a ride. The brakes are still a bit spongy and the engine runs pretty lousy. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I had noticed a pretty bad misfire the last time I rode it. It did not heal itself during the time it was torn down. Could be fuel delivery, could be ignition. I suspect a vacuum leak, since it pops, quite a bit, through the exhaust on deceleration. I'll have to delve into it next week, since I'll be away from the house until Monday. Aside from the two problems, everything else seemed fine. The clutch and transmission work flawlessly. The belt tracks right down the center of both pulleys. All of the electrics work as they should. Nothing fell or flew off except my BH cap, which I retrieved on the way back home. It's too bad that Boss Hoss didn't explore the Ranger transmission. Once sorted out, it really is a splendid unit. The lack of a reverse gear is problematic for those used to the two speed Nesco. I will admit that I wish I had a way to back up rather than using my, increasingly, worn out knees. Note to self; When parking, choose wisely.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Well, tomorrow did come, but not without some drama. I suffer from atrial fibrillation. It hits every now and then and when it does, I'm not much good for anything except laying on the couch and watching daytime courtroom drama, Jerry and Maury. I woke up this morning and knew it would be a pretty fruitless day. By noontime, I was feeling pretty good, which is uncommon, as it usually wipes me out for the entire day. Cool, time for a ride. Down to the shop, hook up my shiny new timing light and set the ignition. It settled down into that lumpy idle that really made the day a little brighter. I top off the radiator with water, I'll add coolant later. Cool, time for a ride. I see a pool starting to form under the bike. Yup, water. Lessee, oil, gas, water, gear oil and brake fluid. Three out of five fluids decide to leak. It's coming from the outlet neck. Off it comes. It has an O ring and it seems fine. I clean everything up, cut out a gasket, slap on some more RTV, button it back up and pour the water back in. Fired it up and everything stays nice and dry. I decide the radiator needs some new pads to sit on, so it's off to the BORG for some of those self adhesive rubber pads that go on the bottoms of furniture legs. By the time I get home and get everything done to my satisfaction, it's kinda late, I'm tired and there's leftover sausage and peppers from last night. In the epic battle of Food vs. Motorcycle, food wins.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Yesterday was to be the day that I went for the first ride in a long while. The motorcycle gods were not pleased with me. I was unable to bleed the front brakes. After much pumping, disassembly, reassembly and other assorted frustrations, I finally, at the suggestion of my guru, pressure bled them. I used a standard, pump style, oil can with a short piece of hose shoved on the spout and the other end on one of the bleeders. I cracked both bleeders and bled the caliper first. Then I tightened the one without the hose and pumped until fluid appeared in the master cylinder reservoir. Repeat for the other side and, voila, we have brakes. Cool, time for a ride. Fired it up and noticed a fine spray of oil from the front of the engine. What the Sam Hill is going on now?!?! Off comes the radiator. There is no leakage from the top of the engine. I finally determine that the timing cover seal has packed it in. Off with the pulley and hub. A quick trip to the auto parts store yields the wrong seal. Rats!!! I examine the old one and there seems to be no problem with it. It fits snug on the hub and there is no wear on the hub surface. I clean everything, slather a little RTV on the outer surface and pop it back in. No leaks. Cool, time for a ride. I reassemble everything and fire it up. Clutch in, hit the shifter and it won't engage. I don't seem to be getting enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch. Off comes the bell crank and over to the drill press. I drill another hole, closer to the pivot. Reinstall and we have full clutch disengagement. It's a bit stiffer now, but still very light. Cool, time for a ride. So far, I just timed the ignition by ear. I figure, let's set it properly and be done with it. After a prolonged search, I determine that my timing light, that I've had for 30 years, is AWOL. Off to Sears to get a new one. 70 bucks later, I'm in my truck, headed home with my shiny new toy. I'm certain that I will find my old one tomorrow. When I got home, it was late, I was hungry and didn't want to play motorcycle any more. A nice plate of sausage, peppers, onions in a tomato base and a 24 ounce cool one and I'm in a much better place. Tomorrow will be a good day for a ride