Monday, July 27, 2015

Playing In The Sandbox

It's been a while since I've done any work on the wood lathe. Today I got back on it. I hope to have it done in the next few days. As I said before, the plans called for filling the two bases with sand to give it some weight and to dampen vibration. Of course, I didn't like that idea. Instead I built this box that I bolted to the pedestals. I will fill it with sand after the project is done. I, also, made a lid that will serve as a shelf. I disassembled everything and began to apply the golden oak oil to the hardwood pieces. Once all the pieces have the oil applied, I will spray them with semi gloss clear. The tail end of the bed got a piece of oak, cut to shape, to finish off the bare plywood. After that, all that should remain is to re assemble it and give it a test turning.

No comments: