Friday, June 21, 2013

Something's Wrong With My Tape Measure

I began to hang the upper cabinet doors yesterday. All was going just fine until this........ I had taken measurements of all the openings. The door or doors, if there were going to be two, needed to be one inch larger, both width and length. Guess what? Oh well, there's no choice but to make them over. I can salvage the vertical stiles, so it's not a total loss. Once they're all up and dialed in, I'll take them down for sanding and finish. Again, these will be getting frosted glass panels to match the pantry door

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pipe Dreams

Last week, I installed the new faucet, garbage disposal and stainless steel sink. This required some, minor, re piping for the waste line and the dishwasher hookup as well as the faucet. This all went without any great fanfare or drama. The counter top will sit on top of the sink. Wifey was very clear about that. Top mount sinks do tend to allow water and "icky" stuff to seep under the rim.

Time To Put A Lid On Things

I finished the last cabinet today. There are still doors and drawer faces to be made. I cut all of the pieces for the upper doors today and will be assembling them tomorrow. Then I'll do the lowers and the drawer faces. The next phase will be the counter tops. These will be made of concrete. There are two reasons why I chose that over all of the other materials in common use. First, of course, is cost. Other than Formica, it is about the least expensive choice, much less than granite or marble. Since I will be pouring and finishing it myself, there is no labor cost. The other reason is appearance. When ground, polished and sealed it is every bit as pretty as stone. Since this is a little out of the ordinary, I will be taking quite a few pictures, as well as a video or two to document the experiment. I started the ball rolling by ordering the concrete pigment today.