Tuesday, May 8, 2012

10W-40 and Kielbasa

Yesterday was to be the day that I went for the first ride in a long while. The motorcycle gods were not pleased with me. I was unable to bleed the front brakes. After much pumping, disassembly, reassembly and other assorted frustrations, I finally, at the suggestion of my guru, pressure bled them. I used a standard, pump style, oil can with a short piece of hose shoved on the spout and the other end on one of the bleeders. I cracked both bleeders and bled the caliper first. Then I tightened the one without the hose and pumped until fluid appeared in the master cylinder reservoir. Repeat for the other side and, voila, we have brakes. Cool, time for a ride. Fired it up and noticed a fine spray of oil from the front of the engine. What the Sam Hill is going on now?!?! Off comes the radiator. There is no leakage from the top of the engine. I finally determine that the timing cover seal has packed it in. Off with the pulley and hub. A quick trip to the auto parts store yields the wrong seal. Rats!!! I examine the old one and there seems to be no problem with it. It fits snug on the hub and there is no wear on the hub surface. I clean everything, slather a little RTV on the outer surface and pop it back in. No leaks. Cool, time for a ride. I reassemble everything and fire it up. Clutch in, hit the shifter and it won't engage. I don't seem to be getting enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch. Off comes the bell crank and over to the drill press. I drill another hole, closer to the pivot. Reinstall and we have full clutch disengagement. It's a bit stiffer now, but still very light. Cool, time for a ride. So far, I just timed the ignition by ear. I figure, let's set it properly and be done with it. After a prolonged search, I determine that my timing light, that I've had for 30 years, is AWOL. Off to Sears to get a new one. 70 bucks later, I'm in my truck, headed home with my shiny new toy. I'm certain that I will find my old one tomorrow. When I got home, it was late, I was hungry and didn't want to play motorcycle any more. A nice plate of sausage, peppers, onions in a tomato base and a 24 ounce cool one and I'm in a much better place. Tomorrow will be a good day for a ride

No comments: