Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hearth And Home

Today, I began a long planned and promised project. A mantle for our fireplace. We finally got a flat screen TV and we want to mount it on the fireplace, but cannot. The reason being, there is no way to hide the electrical and cable hookups. A mantle will solve the problem. The wires will be brought over from the wall, hidden behind a piece of trim and enter the hollow mantle. I can then install a plug inside and pass the TV power cord through a plastic grommet and into the plug, hidden inside. Additionally, I will run power over to the other side for the components. More pix and further explanations will follow. Today, I managed to cut and glue up the two vertical columns. Most of the construction will be oak faced plywood.I will cut as much of the trim as I can from scraps lying around the shop. I will likely buy some precut crown molding for some of the areas that I have envisioned. As with most of my projects, there are no plans. Just build as you go. I have an idea of what I want it to look like, but it may evolve slightly

No comments: